End Of Year Portfolio Evaluations
I offer portfolio evaluation services for homeschoolers across Florida, as well as other states on the East coast. If your state law allows a “certified teacher in any state” to conduct the end of the year portfolio evaluations, I can do yours too! Please check your laws carefully.
Please know that beginning January, 2013, I only conduct evaluations online. Simply email me samples of what I need to see (read below for details) and then your child and I will have a short follow-up conversation on the phone or via Skype. Online evaluations provide convenience and flexibility. More and more homeschooling families are choosing this option every year.
You can also mail me your child’s portfolio via USPS. Some people prefer to do this and I will mail it back to you in your self-addressed, stamped envelope.
What to Expect:
What I need to see according to FL law, is yearly progress. As a homeschooling mom myself, I know that often the progress you think you’ll make during the year is not exactly what you thought you’d see at the end of the year. It’s often much more than you’d expected!
Once I receive your portfolio items, I look everything over and note progress in each subject area. I jot down notes about what I see so that I can share these with you when we talk via phone or Skype. Please jot down any questions you may have for me. I will then call you at our scheduled time (please use my appointment scheduler), so that I can have a short conversation with your student. After our conversation, I will send you the signed evaluation form by email. You will then send this form to your county school board office. If your county provides you with this evaluation form, it is helpful if you also send that to me with your portfolio items. Please be sure to have your portfolio to me at least 5 days before our scheduled phone call.
Don’t worry! When you come away from a meeting with me you will feel empowered and inspired. Evaluations should always be informative and relaxed. Read more about my evaluations here.
What You Will Need to Send: (this is for Florida – other states vary slightly.)
* A log of academic activities. This is your overall plan for the year. It can be as broad or as detailed as you like, depending on your style.
* Student samples in each subject area from the beginning, middle and end of the school year including samples of any tests you have done in the subject areas.
* A list of all books read during the year. Book titles that are included in your log of academic activities (above) count.
* If your student has work that has been graded by you or another teacher, I like to see samples of those, as well as any projects worked on during the year. I love pictures!
* The law does not require this, but if you would like to send along pictures or other items related to field trips you have taken, those are always fun for me to see as well.
I highly recommend that your student be involved in the process of choosing his/her work to be evaluated. This helps the student feel ownership over their learning, and is a good exercise each year in celebrating strengths and/or pinpointing any weaknesses.
Cost: I offer end-of-the-year portfolio evaluations for $45 per child. Siblings receive a discounted rate of $30.
Please see my FAQ Page for answers to more questions regarding the state requirements, etc.
To schedule an evaluation or a consultation, simply click here to choose your appointment time
or email me to set up a time, then click on the paypal button and choose your option.
By email: Terri@homeschoolinflorida.com
By phone: 352 516-7246